Friday, July 25, 2008

Longest Day EV-ER

The longest day of our lives is slowly grinding to a halt. The range of emotions, the tears shed, and the prayers said for Jude today have exhausted us all. I was so happy Jon mentioned going home to sleep in our bed since he had little luck sleeping here at the hospital last night and our room for this evening is even less hospitible. My mom is with me and Jon's mom is with him and Jude is on ice in the NICU.

Jon will most likely report the medical events of today in regard to Jude, as he heard them first hand. I have been visiting a bit less frequently due to my injury, and when we are there I am so mesmerized by the baby that I hardly listen to the conversation. I know I am his mother, but the kid is darling. Even when chilled to 91 degress and covered in wires he looks like such a champ. He weighs 7 pounds and is 21.5 inches long. He has a long torso like Jon and long fingers and toes like me. He's been fussy today because of the cooling blanket, and he most likely has a killer headache after the violent birth. However, if you recall my post a few days ago about him putting his feet into my bottom rib like a swimmer, one of the things the nurse said will make him relax is when she applies some resistance to the bottom of his foot. He is immitating something that comforted him in the womb. With all the research with swaddling blankets and the comfort it provides newborns, I am not surprised that he is searching for something that reminds him of his most recent environment. We can't hold Jude or cuddle with him or feed him, but pushing on that kid's foot today was incredible.

3 comments:

Lucy said...

Congratulations, Mama.

(And we were huge fans of what we called the Bebe Burrito. Swaddling works.)

Maria said...

Awwwwwwwwww...

Congratulations again!

Best post ever.

Anonymous said...

Just want you to know I love the blogs to keep up with what is going on. Congratulations on your son! Jim and I are praying for Jude. He is Gods child too and he will take care of him. I will pray for you two as it sounds as if you had to face alot. God bless you all.

Prayerfully,
Tammy Melton