Saturday, June 16, 2007

Krispy Kreme does not sell jimmies

This morning Amanda and I walked to Harvey's bakery and coffee shop for breakfast. I got a blueberry muffin (which was maybe the best one I've ever had) and a jelly doughnut (also good). Amanda ordered a jelly and a chocolate-covered. The lady behind the counter asked her if she wanted the chocolate with or without Jimmies. Amanda did not know what a Jimmy was.

Jimmies are, apparently, sprinkles.

No Jimmies, thank you.

This is the same coffee shop that Mitt Romney came into a few weeks back to shake hands and stir up votes, and some patron stands up, proclaims he'd "never vote for a Mormon," and leaves.

I think that eliminating and entire class of candidates based on their religion isn't particularly right, but I'm sure a lot of well-meaning people do it. To proclaim it to everyone in a restaurant seems a little odd, though. Like an old-timey town meeting, but with prejudice. (Disclaimer: I won't be voting for Mitt Romney, but not because he believes Jesus came to America).

No comments: