Wednesday, June 13, 2007

I should clean the apartment

Amanda is on the road, pug dogs in tow. She's staying in the same hotel I did and should be here tomorrow afternoon. This is good news, since I've missed her.

In other news, I've been playing at open mics around town and plan on doing more as the summer goes on. It really a great setup. Right downtown, about a five minute walk from here, are three places that have open mic on different days of the week. And here's the kicker - they all start at 8.

That's the complaint I have with Winston. I've lived there, a city of approximately 125,000 people, for almost four years now, and the best place I can come up with to get booked is the Borders cafe. There's exactly one open mic that I know of, and it starts at 10 on a Wednesday, which is great if you're in college, but not so great if you work.

I've been in Dover (population somewhere around 20k) for about a week and a half and I've already played mini-sets in two places, met more singer-songwriters, and I'm confident that I could play full sets around town if I were a permanent resident. Just a different local music culture, I guess.

The people at the shows have been very friendly and receptive, too. Just a good time all around.

Now it's time, as the title says, to get ready for the Dar's arrival tomorrow. I feel like the "real" summer is about to start.

No comments: