Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Wilson Brothers, OG's

Ok, this is out of the typical topics of this fine blog, but I can't pass this up. I'm experiencing my annual "Brian Wilson writes the best melodies on Earth"-fest, and I came across this Youtube gem.

The following video is of a performance of The Beach boys doing "I Get Around" on some television show in the '60s. A few things stand out to me:

1) Brian Wilson, musical genius, appears to have no rhythm when lip-syncing and should never make the rubbing-the-fingers-together-to-simulate-holding-money gesture while singing or otherwise.

2) Mike Love looks like an angry, creepy uncle.

3) Dennis Wilson clapping to the beat looks exactly like I expect that Eli Manning looks when Peyton tells a joke. Seriously, if you watch nothing else, check out right around 1:06 of the video.

4) On a serious note, these lyrics are very much the equivalent of modern pop hip-hop. Basically, they say "My friends and I are awesome, we get all the girls, have all the money, sweet cars, nobody messes with us, and we don't keep girlfriends, because we're too busy." Witness:

We always take my car, cause it's never been beat
and we've never missed yet with the girls we meet...
...None of the guys go steady 'cause it wouldn't be right
to leave your best girl home on a Saturday night

- The Beach Boys, "I Get Around"

When I pull up out front, you see the Benz on dubs
When I roll 20 deep, it's 20 knives in the club
(People) heard I (hang out) with (Dr.) Dre, now they wanna show me love
When you sell like Eminem, and the (women), they wanna (enjoy my company)
But homie ain't nuttin changed (women) down, (my friends) up

- 50 Cent, "In Da Club" (edited for content)

Enjoy:

No comments: