Friday, August 3, 2007

Live free or die

As we sat listening to the band of the week at the rotary band shell in Dover, we started talking about how we feel in having to leave our new northern home. It’s hard to put into words what has clearly left a mark on us about this town. Jon asked this afternoon, “Are we small town people?”

The town has a number of locally owned restaurants all located downtown and within walking distance from our apartment. Wanting to dive into our new town, we’ve been to nearly all the Friday night concerts at the park, attended Dover night out, explored local beaches, open mics, blueberry picking, and any other local, dorky thing we could. Everything was so close, outside, low-stress, accessible, easy-going, and early enough in the evening that we could do things throughout the week and be back home in time to get enough sleep for work the next day.

We’re going to miss all these things about the feel of this town. I’m not saying Winston is lacking in all these things, but events are too late at night, crowded, hard to find parking for and full of drunken and smoking people (because it takes place in a bar). Many times it’s just not the kind of scene we’re looking for. I like having a summer without getting beer spilled on me.

I love our house in NC. I love my job, my garden, my friends, and the barbecue and iced tea. But Dover is always going to be a special place for us where we explored a new region, grew closer in our marriage, and discovered what we really love to do—sit back, listen, laugh and love the place we’re in.

No comments: